Friday, June 20, 2014

The Static Park Questionnaire 03 - Unusual Affairs



Scott
 
01 What is your name / age / nationality ?
 
Scott / 32 / USA

02 How did you get into noise ? 
 
I first really heard noise through grindcore bands that would incorporate noise into their sound. Mostly through The Communion (NYC)

03 How did you chose the name of your project / What does it mean to you ? 
 
I was watching Blood Feast and that little phrase (''I do cater to... Unusual Affairs'') stuck out to me. I then asked on a certain social networking website if anyone would like to start a collaborative HNW project under that moniker and Quentin was into the idea, So was Sean Matzus, who has contributed to a few releases of ours. We all share a love for film, but there wasn't a lot of thought behind choosing the name. I just liked how it sounded.

04 Which one of your releases would make the best entry point into your work ? 
 
Probably Hooded Remains, a tape released by the great label Total Black. It's a bit longer than our other releases and has 4 tracks instead of 1 or 2 so it has some nice variation.


05 How do you record ? (live, sequencing, multi-tracking etc..) 
 
I usually record my layer live and add Quentins layer and some samples later.

06 What is your favorite piece of gear ? 
 
I don't know if I consider it my favorite piece of gear but I think the only pedal I've used on all recordings is the DOD Grunge.

07 Do you play live ? How is it different from your releases ?

I would love to play live sometime however we both live in different states. I actually moved to Oregon from California shortly after Quentin moved to California from Oregon.

08 Who would you like to collab / make a split with ?

The dream, of course, would be Nick Blinko.

09 Do you listen to other types of sound/music ? Which ones ?

I can't think of a genre that doesn't have it's gems. But I guess my playlist recently would look mostly like: Charlotte Gainsbourg, Rudimentary Peni, France Gall, Francoise Hardy, Chantal Goya, Shabazz Palaces, Fear, Samhain, Wu-Tang, Nico and probably something I'm forgetting.

10 What is your favorite record at the moment ?

A tie between Irm by Charlotte Gainsbourg and Cacophony by Rudimentary Peni.


Quentin

01 What is your name / age / nationality ?

QUES/25/USA

02 How did you get into noise ?

A few local bands before my time that incorporated it into their music.

03 How did you choose the name of your project / What does it mean to you ?

Scott wanted to start a project named after part of a line from Blood Feast. I enjoy HNW and Blood Feast so I hit up Scott and we started Unusual Affairs.

04 Which one of your releases would make the best entry point into your work ?

Dark, Dead Corners . 


05 How do you record ? (live, sequencing, multi-tracking etc..)

For this project I only record one or maybe two layers then send it to Scott.

06 What is your favorite piece of gear ?

Don't have a Favorite.

07 Do you play live ? How is it different from your releases ?

We do not play live but maybe one day that will change.

08 Who would you like to collab / make a split with ?

I would have to agree with Scott, Nick Blinko.

09 Do you listen to other types of sound/music ? Which ones ?

Lots of artists from the 90's Memphis Scene.

10 What is your favorite record at the moment ?

Cacophony.


You can listen to Unusual Affairs HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment