Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Fumes EP on Bandcamp



Two experimental tracks inspired by graffiti, I actually got the ideas for these while hunting for street-art with my wife Carlotta (did I tell you we have a street-art project called Mental Links ? You can see some of our work here)

"Not That Subway" (a reference to the Subway Art book by Martha Cooper & Henry Chalfant that helped spread graffiti from the streets of 70s New York) is noise-hop I guess.


 I wasn't aware that noise-hop was a genre, or rather I thought I had invented it but a couple days ago I saw a thread on the Maniacs Only forum mentioning Clipping, Death Grips and others as part of a "scene" so I guess it's a genre after all...

All the samples, including the drums, were taken from AMM's AMMusic album (Elektra, 1967). AMM was an imrovised electro-acoustic band formed by Eddie Prevost (drums), Keith Rowe (guitar) and John Tilbury (piano) and it greatly influenced the more minimal side of improvised music in the following year, Keith Rowe in particular being pretty active alongside people from the onkyo scene like Toshimaru Nakamura, Sachiko M and Otomo Yoshihide.

So I sampled that and added a layer of noise, the set-up being=

Piezo + Dreamcrusher + 4 Eyes + Super Crunch Box (with the gain open about 25%) + Memory Boy

I must say I may have been influenced by a recommendation in the aforementioned thread: the album was=

 FRKSE - Guilt Surveillance - Divergent Series - 2012 and you can listen/download it here. Very good stuff.

"Bombing Fumes" is an ambient room recordings compressed to the max as to make a pulsating bass sound appear in places, with another layer of noise with the same set-up as the 1st track, only the Boss Harmonist is in and set at the lowest.

Listen / Download the Fume EP HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment